[patch] LSM base + task/binprm changes (Was: Re: Submitting LSM)

From: Stephen Smalley (sdsat_private)
Date: Tue Jul 16 2002 - 09:07:09 PDT

    The attached (gzipped) patch, relative to a vanilla 2.5.25 (or
    alternatively to vanilla 2.5.25+ipc.patch), contains the basic changes for
    the LSM framework along with only the task and binprm hooks and
    corresponding dummy and capability modules.  I also included several
    "top-level" hooks that seemed to fit with the task hooks and were
    important for providing a useable kernel.  The resulting kernel can be
    built and booted, and should function identically to an unmodified Linux
    kernel when the capability module is built-in or inserted.  The dummy
    module should mostly function as expected for traditional superuser logic,
    but will run into a denial on netlink messages due to the lack of the
    netlink changes in this patch.

    This patch is intended to serve as a starting point for splitting up the
    LSM patch.  Feel free to suggest further reductions to this patch (e.g. we
    could easily separate the sys_security system call) or additions to this
    patch (e.g. we could easily add other top-level "system" hooks).  I don't
    think we want to try to separate the task hooks from the binprm hooks or
    remove the capable changes from this patch, as the resulting patch would
    likely leave the kernel in an unuseable state.

    My thinking is that we would use a patch like this one as the base LSM
    patch, with separate patches for the super_block+inode+file hooks, the IPC
    hooks, the socket hooks, and the networking hooks.

    --
    Stephen D. Smalley, NAI Labs
    ssmalleyat_private