Re: Stacking - anyone care how to report module id's?

From: Greg KH (gregat_private)
Date: Mon Aug 26 2002 - 08:42:52 PDT

    On Sun, Aug 25, 2002 at 09:10:43PM -0700, Crispin Cowan wrote:
    > Ah, there's the point of contention. I think that closer to 90% of
    > modules WILL want to be stacked.

    Then lets deal with that problem when those modules crawl out into the
    light.

    > Sure, SELinux, SubDomain, and LIDS won't want to stack with each other.
    > But they will all (likely) want to stack with OWLSM and Capabilities.

    OWLSM and capabilities do not use sys_security(), so there's no problem
    with doing this today.

    > Polling the modules, fishing for the one that should respond to a
    > syscall, instead of just going direct to the right module.

    So say you have stacked only 1 module.  If it doesn't match your sig,
    pass it down.  If you are a multiplexor (like the original topic),
    calling every different module is probably not a measurable difference
    from doing the check yourself.

    Only the SELinux and DTE modules implement sys_security() right now, and
    neither of them support stacking _or_ the module id.  Heck, SELinux
    right now just replaces the original sys_security syscall table entry
    with it's own entry, going around the original syscall :)

    In sort, it's not a real problem today, and if it becomes a problem
    tomorrow, due to real speed issues, we can deal with it then.

    thanks,

    greg k-h