Re: Stacking - anyone care how to report module id's?

From: Crispin Cowan (crispinat_private)
Date: Fri Aug 23 2002 - 07:53:44 PDT

    David Wheeler wrote:

    > I'm still interested in completing a stacking module, but
    > I have two questions for everyone:
    >
    > 1. I need the "module id" of a stacked module, if it has one,
    >    to implement returns from sys_security.  There are two options:

    Chris likely cares a lot about the answer to this question, but he's on
    vacation. He should be back by Monday.

    > 2. I have completely FAILED to find out if pointer writes are
    >    atomic (and if not, where), and I seem to have trouble posting to
    >    the linux mailing list.  I'm currently thinking of just writing

    I strongly suspect that the natural pointer size, when aligned to that
    size, is atomic on any given architecture. It would more or less have to
    be; otherwise implementing any OS functionality would be pretty close to
    impossible.

    IMHO, this entire "pointers are not atomic" issue is a red herring of no
    consequence. Pointer writes are only non-atomic on x86 when they are not
    word-aligned. Just make sure your pointers are aligned, and you should
    have no problems.

    Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.
    Chief Scientist, WireX                      http://wirex.com/~crispin/