Re: Stacking - anyone care how to report module id's?

From: Greg KH (gregat_private)
Date: Mon Aug 26 2002 - 10:31:45 PDT

    On Mon, Aug 26, 2002 at 01:21:12PM -0400, Valdis.Kletnieksat_private wrote:
    > On Mon, 26 Aug 2002 10:03:51 PDT, Greg KH said:
    > > On Mon, Aug 26, 2002 at 09:41:43AM -0700, Crispin Cowan wrote:
    >
    > > > On the other hand, it is this kind of thinking that gave the Linux
    > > > kernel a scheduler that linearly scanned the process ready list, and had
    > > > to be upgraded when Linux went into the big time.
    > >
    > > Ok, that's not even relevant to this argument.  When people realized
    > > that the current scheduler had problems, based on larger loads, and
    > > bigger boxes, they fixed it.
    >
    > Hmm... So what you're saying that since previous experience with
    > algorithms that scale poorly on big iron has shown that we end up ripping
    > it out and doing it over, we should do so AGAIN when faced with something
    > likely to scale poorly?

    Huh?  What is going to scale poorly?  The current sys_security() call?
    I don't see anything in the current code tha scales badly.  All I hear
    is vague statements about how some code, sometime in the future that
    impmenents a sys_security() hook, might not scale well.

    > Remember - it's not my laptop that's going to hit these issues, it's the
    > big 16/32 CPU boxes doing tons of stuff that will hit these issues.

    I know this all too well, it's my day job :)

    Come on people, if there is a real problem, I'd be glad to deal with it.
    And as there is no posted code showing a problem, I think this thread
    should just die.

    > > The policies for OWLSM are already able to be turned on and off at
    > > config time.
    >
    > And the next thing you know, somebody will want it on a per-process basis. ;)

    And you want to call sys_security() when every sys_execev() happens?
    You need to rethink your model, or use the existing hooks that are
    already present for just such a need :)

    thanks,

    greg k-h