Re: Last question on rm -f unused_hooks*

From: Greg KH (gregat_private)
Date: Wed Oct 02 2002 - 09:56:16 PDT

    On Wed, Oct 02, 2002 at 02:04:07AM -0700, Crispin Cowan wrote:

    > And when I ask "what is the criteria", what I mean is not what you or I
    > think it should be, but rather what Linus et al will buy, in your expert
    > opinion as a l33t kernel dude :)

    Heh, I am anything but l33t.

    My criteria is, that I'm not going to send a patch off, for inclusion in
    the main kernel tree, that contains a hook that is not needed by a
    released, GPLed, module.

    > I accept that it is the Linux way to remove interfaces that are not
    > being used. I think it's dumb, but what I think doesn't matter; it's
    > what will get into the kernel.

    It's not dumb.  Why would you think it is dumb?  Why would you expect
    people to support interfaces that are not being used?  That's just
    wasteful, and causes unneeded bugs and bloat.

    Now off to cut out some pci interfaces out of the kernel that shouldn't
    be used anymore... :)

    thanks,

    greg k-h