Re: Willing to change LSM so secondary defaults correct

From: Crispin Cowan (crispinat_private)
Date: Tue Dec 24 2002 - 12:22:21 PST

    David Wheeler wrote:

    > However, before doing so, I want to hear any comments.
    > If people often want to mix in the capability module with another
    > secondary module when they have a single child,

    Single child; hmmm. Does that mean "stacker + one functional module"? Or
    "stacker + capabilities + one other module"? I expect the common cases
    to be:

       1. capabilities only: oblivious users who don't do anything to
          enhance kernel security, and just load up the defaults.
       2. capabilities + OWLSM: nearly oblivious users who want to just add
          the "zero management" security of OWLSM.
       3. capabilities + OWLSM + MAC: where "MAC" is one of SELinux, LIDS,
          DTE, or SubDomain, etc. Users taking active steps to enhance
          security with MAC.
       4. OWLSM + MAC: as above, but people who think capabilities suck :-)
       5. MAC only: as above, but think that OWLSM sucks too.

    In the cases where there is only one functional module, we can skip
    stacker. There are two cases with two modules (#2 and #4) and only one
    of them involves capabilities.

    Speak up if you think I've omitted an important case.

    WireX will probably go with #3 or #4, plus some additional modules of
    our own. Get your own magic 8 ball to predict the order of popularity :-)

    Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.
    Chief Scientist, WireX                      http://wirex.com/~crispin/
    			    Just say ".Nyet"