Re: Having trouble setting up 2.5.52-lsm1... suggestions?

From: dwheelerat_private
Date: Fri Dec 27 2002 - 23:37:27 PST

    >It will, you are having problems when running depmod, part of modutils
    >and module-init-tools.

    Thanks for the tip.   I made additional progress by reviewing:
     http://www.codemonkey.org.uk/post-halloween-2.5.txt
    In particular, the specific problem I was having went away once I
    revisited the "Input layer" settings, a truly baroque interface in 2.5
    (I used "make oldconfig" to kick things off - perhaps that's a bad idea).

    I installed the modutils and module-init-utils; running
    "/sbin/depmod --version" reports "depmod version 2.4.22".

    But, I still don't have a working 2.5 kernel. Sigh.
    After repeatedly removing modules that wouldn't compile, I got
    "make bzImage" and "make modules" to work.  However,
    "make modules_install" produces a sea of error messages from
    the new depmod. Here are just a few lines, which shows that things
    are seriously busted (e.g., it can't find kmalloc).

    Suggestions? Currently I'm wondering if I need to use a gcc < 3.2, but
    that may not be the issue.  Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

    =============================

    cp: warning: source file `drivers/cdrom/cdrom.ko' specified more than once
    cp: warning: source file `drivers/net/wireless/airo.ko' specified more than oncecp: warning: source file `drivers/net/mii.ko' specified more than once
    cp: warning: source file `drivers/net/mii.ko' specified more than once
    cp: warning: source file `drivers/net/mii.ko' specified more than once
    ... (etc)
    depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.5.52-lsm1/kernel/security/owlsm.ko
    depmod:         dput
    depmod:         unregister_security
    depmod:         mod_reg_security
    depmod:         mod_unreg_security