Re: chmod from LSM

From: Michael Halcrow (mhalcrowat_private)
Date: Thu May 22 2003 - 09:17:24 PDT

    On Wed, May 21, 2003 at 11:37:46AM -0700, Seth Arnold wrote:
    > On Wed, May 21, 2003 at 10:36:36AM -0700, Michael Halcrow wrote:
    > > Anyone have any good ways of chmod'ing a file from inside an LSM
    > > module?  No hacks, please.  :-)
    >
    > Take a look at sys_chmod() for some ideas how it should work. The kernel
    > source most easily available to me appears to go through some hoops with
    > struct iattr newattrs, performs the mode masking operations on the
    > structure, then uses notify_change() to perform the modifications.
    > (This is probably to assist tools such as the file access monitor, used
    > in many explorer.exe-work-alikes.)
    >
    > I hope this helps...

    I've been trying to re-implement sys_chmod inside of my LSM, but I
    keep getting errno=14 every time I use __user_walk to get the dentry
    for my file.  This is the EFAULT error code, which indicates that one
    of the arguments may be an invalid pointer.  I have checked my
    pointers carefully, and they are valid.  I tried allocating the memory
    those pointers point to via __get_free_page, but that did not help.
    Is there some sort of dark magic that I have yet to become acquainted
    with in order for this to work?

    Mike

    --
    Michael Halcrow                             | mhalcrowat_private