Stacker module

From: David Wheeler (dwheelerat_private)
Date: Tue Jun 17 2003 - 13:54:16 PDT

    Wade Yin asked:
     > I try to figure out that if I loaded 2 security modules in the
     > kernel, eg. one is SELinux TE&RBAC security module  the other is X
     > security module, how does the kernel consult the 2 policy modules?

    To support more than one module arbitrarily, you need a stacking module.
    I developed one (called "stacker") as a proof-of-principle.
    You can get the "stacker" module as it exists from:
      http://www.dwheeler.com/misc/stacker.c
    However, although I've been monitoring the LSM mailing list,
    I have _not_ tried to modify "Stacker" to keep it up-to-date,
    so you'll need to modify it for it to work.

    I agree with you, there are many cases where stacking makes sense.
    In particular, I think it'd be helpful to have multiple small
    modules that store no data - they simply forbid certain suspicious
    activities.  If a module stores no data, then it's often
    easy to combine with other things.  For example, imagine modules that:
    * Forbid creation of files with certain characters (control chars,
       leading "-", shell metacharacters like "&").
    * Forbid creating/linking of files in ways that create temp file
       problems (like OWLSM).
    * Forbid execution of programs not in the root partition.

    The key thing to making stacking fast is to do funny pointer
    manipulations so that checking the modules doesn't require
    grabbing a lock.  Once you do that, checking the modules is
    simply walking a linked list & calling them - not a zero-cost
    operation, but I expect it won't be bad.  However, the only
    real test is to make it work & do a performance measure, something
    I've never gotten around to doing.

    Wade Yin: if you want to take over development of a stacker,
    be my guest.

    --- David A. Wheeler
         dwheelerat_private