Re: User space API definition?

From: Crispin Cowan (crispinat_private)
Date: Wed Aug 13 2003 - 12:41:32 PDT

    Stephen Smalley wrote:

    >On Tue, 2003-08-12 at 18:01, Magosányi Ãrpád wrote:
    >

    >>Could the SELinux API be a basis of a generic security module API?
    >>Is it generizable enough? Is it C enough? A pseudo filesystem
    >>might be a good implementation detail, but you cannot call it from an
    >>application program. You need a function call interface to easily
    >>use it.
    >>

    >The SELinux API was originally designed to provide flexible support for
    >MAC policies.  So it should be suitable as a basis for a generic MAC
    >security module API.  For other kinds of security modules, your mileage
    >may vary.

    And that is the crux of the problem for a generic security module API:
    you want to talk to a variety of security modules, and they may have
    different models, e.g.:

        * SubDomain: manipulate program profiles
        * SELinux: manipulate domains, types, and roles
        * RaceGuard: switch whether a RaceGuard failure should return EPERM
          or just kill the victim
        * OWLSM: enable or disable its various intrusion prevention rules:
              o root can't follow symlinks to non-root files
              o non-root can't hard link to root files
              o no ptrace for root processes

    To have a "generic" API across all these modules, I can't see anything
    higher level than "variable=value" assertions, with some syntax sugar to
    allow you to query variables. But perhaps that's good enough?

    Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.           http://immunix.com/~crispin/
    Chief Scientist, Immunix       http://immunix.com
                http://www.immunix.com/shop/