Re: What's "name_bind " permission and difference with "bind" permission?

From: James Morris (jmorris@private)
Date: Wed Nov 05 2003 - 21:19:19 PST

    On 6 Nov 2003, Yuan ChunYang wrote:

    > hi,  in selinux ,there is "name_bind" permission check in
    > selinux_socket_bind permission. It's said that "If PF_INET, check
    > name_bind permission for the port" .
    > Can somebody tell me what's name_bind permission and difference with
    > "bind" permission?
    > thanx!

    The bind permission is used to control whether a socket is allowed to
    have bind(3) called on it.

    The name_bind permission is a further check between a socket and the port
    it is being bound to, if the port is outside the local port range
    (determined by the sysctl net.ipv4.ip_local_port_range) and/or is a
    protected port.

    See http://www.nsa.gov/selinux/doc/module/x2042.html, and policy examples.

    - James
    --