Re: Network

From: Chris Wright (chrisw@private)
Date: Wed Dec 15 2004 - 17:47:47 PST

* Kenny Chamber (kenny@gem-hs.org) wrote:
> Hello all
> I want to ask you how can i intercept the network traffic from a kernel
> module ? Can you direct me to some example or already made module that
> does this ? I have a lot of proceses (http apache or qmail) that are
> freezing just like that ! The only thing that still runs is the ping
> reply and i want to make a switch based on a special packet sent using
> the ping command that restarts the server when received. It is possible
> to intercept all traffic using a kernel module ?

This has been done before (can't recall where or URL to look for).  But,
consider that it's quite dangerous to hand out a special bullet w/out
any authentication.  You'd be best off to find the root cause of why
server processes are freezing.  Perhaps some serial console would help
you for remote debugging?  Also, an lsm module is almost assuredly the
wrong starting point.  Makes more senes to use netfilter