Re: New stacker performance results

From: Colin Walters (walters@private)
Date: Wed May 25 2005 - 17:26:32 PDT

On Wed, 2005-05-25 at 15:57 -0700, Crispin Cowan wrote:

> So there are SEVERE disadvantages to removing LSM and forcing everyone
> to just use SELinux. What are the advantages? I mean, other than
> excluding all those annoying counter-revolutionary upstarts? :)

I think there's two strongly related but still separate issues here:

1) Whether SELinux can express other access control LSM modules
2) Should LSM be removed in favor SELinux API calls, and out-of-tree
   modules can patch the kernel (as many do).

My interest in this discussion is 1), which came up because of 2).  So
far I have not yet seen an actual access control LSM which isn't better
expressed in SELinux policy.

> The big deal from my perspective is that some of us believe that
> label-based access control in itself is a defect, and there are other
> ways to do it that are more effective. The SELinux procedure to build a
> policy to contain an application is 17 steps long (literally) and the
> corresponding Immunix process is 3 steps long, and the steps are easier.

I have written a number of SELinux policies from scratch and I certainly
don't recall ticking off 17 checkboxes as I wrote them.  The time taken
wildly varied, in fact; for some applications like jabberd, writing the
policy took all of maybe 10 minutes including testing.  For others like
Spamassassin, I wrestled for hours with the issues such as the various
configurations (spamd versus spamc, etc) and other programs involved
(the MTA, procmail, etc).

So I'm extremely skeptical of this comparison, at least if you are
making any claim about the security equivalence of the policies.

> But "easier" is a subjective opinion, and I don't particularly want to
> engage in SELinux bashing. It has its strengths. The claim is just that
> there are alternatives that have their strengths too.

I understand the claim.  It's difficult to discuss though when there
appears to be little in the way of online technical documentation for
Immunix (as opposed to marketing material), and source code does not
appear to be available.