Re: New stacker performance results

From: Tony Jones (tonyj@private)
Date: Wed May 25 2005 - 19:31:31 PDT

On Wed, May 25, 2005 at 10:13:12PM -0400, James Morris wrote:
> > But the LSM hooks aren't going to just dissapear. Under what you propose they
> > will be replaced by other SELinux specific calls.  How does this change the
> > impact to core/other kernel maintainers when they make changes? They are
> > still going to be faced with making changes near call points whose purpose
> > they may not be overly familiar with.
>
> That's a good point.  Yes, the SELinux specific calls would still be
> there.
>
> The differences for cor maintainers would be:
>
> a) Clearer semantics, i.e. being able to trace the flow directly into the
> SELinux code and be able to see exactly what's happening.

Sure, but the core developers have to work around such issues with VFS,
networking and many other function-pointer based interfaces.

I can read/understand what you are saying, that in your opinion only intree
LSM modules count and of those SELinux is the only one of any meaning and
therefore the cost of a function pointer interface is not acceptable since
there is only one true lsm module (again in your opinion).

> Possibly there's some confusion because Linux does not have any real

I don't think there is confusion,  just disagreement :-)
We don't agree over the purpose of the LSM interface. I don't agree that it's
purpose is to solely enable intree modules.

> The only guaranteed kernel interface is the syscall layer.

What, SELinux can't replace it too.   Kidding :-)

Tony