stacker and vm_enough_memory

From: Tony Jones (tonyj@private)
Date: Tue Jun 28 2005 - 16:48:30 PDT

Hi Serge,

I have a question about stacker_vm_enough_memory.

I note that SELinux doesn't implement the vm_enough_memory hook right now, so
fixup_ops gives them dummy_vm_enough_memory.  Same for our module currently
in an unstacked setup.

For stacker, if no module is registered, stacker_vm_enough_memory calls
capable() rather than dummy_capable()  [but the problem would be the same
if capability was the first module in the list (or any module who's
vm_enough_memory hook called capable().]

The issue is that if any module in the chain tries to do any auditing based
on rejecting capable() things get quite noisy.

I would imaging selinux auditing, if enabled, would see a similar problem.

Places in the kernel which modify a request rather than rejecting it based on
the result of capable() seem few at present.

Thanks,

Tony