Re: hacking logs

From: Hal Snyder (halat_private)
Date: Fri Aug 10 2001 - 03:46:01 PDT

    Jose Nazario <joseat_private> writes:

    > i wanted to ask if anyone know of any tools that explicitely are
    > designed to basically hack logfiles but without getting access to
    > the system (ie rm -f /var/log/SYSLOG). what you do is you abuse the
    > server's respect of the backspace character to overwrite your
    > malicious request with a more normal looking one.

    Apache just writes all log output to the appropriate file descriptor.

    So a hacker can't hide things as long as we use a viewer that doesn't
    process backspaces, especially across line boundaries, e.g.:

    less -U /var/www/logs/access_log

    Grepping for funny characters in logfiles that don't normally contain
    them is part of basic IDS, no?