Re: [Fwd: Logfiles]

From: W. Reilly Cooley, Esq. (wcooleyat_private)
Date: Thu Aug 09 2001 - 23:53:48 PDT

    Thus spake Jose Nazario:

    > <self plug>i wrote a piece, to appear in the Sept, 2001 issue of SysAdmin
    > Magazine i thikn, on using 'awk' as a logfile analysis tool. one gets
    > pretty intimate with normal UNIX logging mechanisms when you have to
    > codify how you will process them, go cross platform (i covered BSD, Liux,
    > IRIX, HPUX and a bit of Solaris), and cover lots of data. i didn't even
    > get into any trending which would have been useful ... </plug>

    The 'logcheck' utility which I and at least one other person on
    this list has already mentioned is written in 'egrep' and shell.
    I'm sure awk would also be excellent at this.  There are a few
    things I've wanted from logcheck that I've never gotten around to
    implementing, but the nice thing about it is that it comes with
    a nice set of rules of strings to ignore or get excited about.
    And, that was my main problem with 'swatch'--it took so long to
    get it quiet enough to be useful that it wasn't worth the effort.
    I assume that swapping rules is part of what this list is about?

    Wil
    --
    W. Reilly Cooley                           wcooleyat_private
    LNXS: Get 0.2.0-devel at http://sourceforge.net/projects/lnxs/

    Mencken and Nathan's Sixteenth Law of The Average American:
    	Milking a cow is an operation demanding a special talent that
    	is possessed only by yokels, and no person born in a large city can
    	never hope to acquire it.