Re: Central syslog server best practices?

From: Michael Poon (mpoonat_private)
Date: Sun Aug 12 2001 - 09:29:31 PDT

    Hi,

    We've deployed a centralized syslog solution based on cfengine.
    In our deployment, cfengine + SSL + TCPwrapper is used to encrypt
    communication between centralized log server and multiple syslog
    servers. Authentication is done via a shared key.

    Multiple syslog servers collect syslog from other machines.
    Logs are further collected from the syslog servers to the
    centralized server on a daily basis.

    We have snorts running on individual servers. We also have a number of
    customized scripts scheduled to run on the centralized log servers
    to scan the logs to detect daemons run, rejected connections,
    security violations, intrusion attempts, etc. These daily reports
    are sent to the security admin for manual inspection.

    The solution makes use of multiple freeware packages including

    - cfengine
    - SSLeay
    - TCPwrapper
    - snort
    - chksyslog
    - logchecker
    - a bunch of custom perl and shell scripts

    One can add swatch for realtime alert and Winsyslog for Windows support.

    Michael