Re: [loganalysis] Re: Central syslog server best practices?

From: 'Nate Campi' (nateat_private)
Date: Tue Aug 14 2001 - 21:29:53 PDT

    On Wed, Aug 15, 2001 at 02:04:30AM +0200, Ogle Ron (Rennes) wrote:

    > Do you mean that you have 3 interfaces on every machine or at least 2 where
    > at least 1 interface is connected to a LAN segment that connects your
    > logging machine?  Or is there a separate firewall from your front end
    > firewall where this administrative traffic is filtered?

    Option 1 - three interfaces on each machine (where possible, sbus NICs
    cost a lot, and our budgets don't always stretch far enough).

    > If it is the first answer, how do you protect your log server from a
    > break-in on one of your web servers?  I've seen many people try to explain
    > that by putting a second interface on a box without firewall protection to
    > use for administration makes the administrative LAN safe.

    Well, funny story actually - the loghost didn't used to be protected
    as well as it needed to be, and a security incident brought this to our
    attention fast (an admin added the box to NIS+ without telling anyone and the
    ssh port was open to the world, meaning open access to all valid NIS+ user
    accounts).

    Since then the box has been placed behind a packet filtering firewall. Only
    the two ports used for syslog are open to our internal nets (single port
    actually, but both UDP and TCP). For administrative access SSH is open to only
    two hosts (packet filters again) and the only authentication method
    available through the SSH daemon is public-key authentication (you'd
    better beleive the private keys used for this are encrypted, too). The host is
    actually running without a single SUID binary as well.

    I still don't claim the administrative LAN to be "safe", I just try to
    minimize the damage from any one host being compromised. Hopefully now the
    loghost is "safer" than most hosts.

    Heck, I don't know how anyone can ever call a LAN "safe". What does that
    mean? Even if every host used IPSec for their communication, they aren't
    safe from attack from each other. One machine can still try to brute
    force passwords against another, or port scan it, etc, etc. Even if each
    host also had packet filtering enabled, they likely need to leave some
    service running, and that service is vulnerable - like the syslog
    service on my loghost. I am only as safe as my firewall and my syslog
    daemon. I minimize/eliminate services running on firewalls and try as
    best I can to run daemons that Do The Right Thing(tm).

    > The only thing that this does is make the hacker happy.  Once the hacker
    > owns one of your web front ends, then he/she has full access to all of the
    > interfaces on that box.  This means that he/she now has full access to that
    > administrative network and all of the machines on that LAN without benefit
    > of a firewall to protect your log server from being attacked on all ports.

    Of course, all true. Segmenting was really for performance in our case,
    NetOps decided that we had outgrown a single-network architecture.
    Overall I'm glad we did it.

    > What's worse is that these people even use an automatic SSH or SSL
    > connection directly to the log server.  This means that now the hacker has
    > direct SSH connection right on the log server without having to guess a
    > password.  They do this believing that they are protecting the channel, but
    > in reality they are hiding all activity of the hacker from any sniffer or
    > NIDS.

    I agree that even used with a restricted shell for the account, an automatic
    SSH session is not the way to go. The encryption needs to used without
    shell access to the loghost machine. Perhaps if the loghost machine
    connected to the log "client" hosts, this could be closer to "acceptable".
    This isn't practical, however, since any break in the connection, due to a
    reboot or network problem, would necessitate the client having to signal the
    loghost to re-establish the forwarded connection though some home-grown
    system. Plus I hate automatic trusts in any direction, even from the loghost.

    > I believe the best solution is to make sure that the log server is on it's
    > own LAN protected from all other machines by a firewall.  To move the logs,
    > only allow the normal syslog or equivalent program to run to the log server
    > from the "clients".  Do NOT try to protect this channel with null password
    > public key authentication over IPsec, SSH or SSL.

    Sounds like we're getting closer to a "Central syslog server best
    practices" standard, like the subject says :) We may even want to write
    something up, once we hash all this out.

    I still like the idea of protecting the log stream with encryption, but
    this needs to be built into the syslog daemon, or done without using a
    shell account on *either* end of the connection, IMHO. Hell, doesn't the
    Windoze "cryptcat" utility do that already for arbitrary network data?
    Doesn't seem like it would be so hard, I just haven't gotten around to
    finding the "right" solution to this yet (some damn web server goes down
    or something whenever I think I'll have a free minute, you know how that
    goes ;)
    --
    Nate Campi  (415) 276-8678  UNIX Ops, Terra Lycos - WiReD SF