Re: [loganalysis] Re: Central syslog server best practices?

From: daniel uriah clemens (dclemensat_private)
Date: Wed Aug 15 2001 - 08:53:05 PDT

    > I tend to agree with MJ Ranum, that many of the problems lie with
    > standard syslog daemons, and the underlying OS. I use syslog-ng with TCP
    > connections to minimize loss of log traffic, so far so good.

    What I did was setup all the remote 'sensors'  to run syslog-ng,
    tunnelling the tcp through openssl back to the server.

    That way when a connection was dropped it would show up in my log files
    etc.

    I then setup the main log host like so :
    x = remote ip ..

    source remote { tcp(ip("x.x.x.x") port(4900));};
    destination ephesians { file("/var/log/network-down-town/ephesians"); };
    filter ephesians-ids { host(x.x.x.x); };
    log { source(remote); filter(ephesians-ids); destination (ephesians); };

    To tunnel stuff through the ssl you will will need to define a
    service in your /etc/services.

    And then run the logcheck script to look for particular matches etc.
    I guess the next thing to do if time permitted would be to have a perl
    script parse through the logs putting them into a mysql database for web
    browsability for all the managers and such...

    Anyhow.
    Hope this added to the idea pool.

    -Simply,
    Daniel Uriah Clemens