Re: [loganalysis] Central Syslog Server, Actual Best Choice ?

From: Matt Bing (mbingat_private)
Date: Thu Aug 16 2001 - 12:32:30 PDT

    Eric Vanborren said:
    > Which one "Central Syslog Server" (OpenSource on Solaris) should I
    > install ?
    >   - msyslog
    >   - syslog-ng
    >   - anything else ?
    >      - Does anything exist such as "log Viewer" of checkPoint FW1 ?

    You also might want to look at Darren Reed's nsyslog:

    http://cheops.anu.edu.au/~avalon/nsyslog.html

    Beyond vanilla syslogd, it includes support for:

    - transport over TCP (and SSL)
    - regex filtering
    - log hash chaining (a big win for the paranoid)
    - maintains priority when writing logs

    I've had nothing but positive experiences using it in production.

    --
    Matt Bing
    NFR Security