Re: [loganalysis] Logging standards and such

From: Dan Rowles (daniel.rowlesat_private)
Date: Thu Aug 16 2001 - 23:25:44 PDT

    > Tina Bird <tbird@precision-guesswork.com> writes:
    >
    > > So maybe we could reach consensus on the categories of events that
    > > fall into different syslog priorities, for a start?
    >
    > Is this what you meant? - or is it a waste of time :-)
    >
    > Priority = (facility, level)
    >
    > Facilities are hard - they are so open ended, and how finely you cut
    > it depends on how much granularity your operation has in any area.
    > No solution wins for everyone.

    Sure - if you try to use a flat namespace.

    How about using facilities like:-
    system.kernel
    daemon.bind
    application.X.Netscape

    Allows easy filtering rules, and yet ensures that all facilities can be
    globally unique.

    The down side is that you have to use a string for the facility, not an
    integer. Seems like a small price to pay to me.....

    > Levels are much easier:
    >
    > For example take an ops point of view on the levels, classifying
    > events on the basis of what action should be taken when they occur.
    > Imagine flow of entries into a NOC and fielded by ops staff.
    >
    > Paraphrasing "man syslog" on my workstation:
    >
    > LOG_DEBUG   info useful to developers for debugging the app, not useful
    >             during operations
    >
    > LOG_INFO    normal operational messages - may be harvested for reporting,
    >             measuring throughput, etc - no action required
    >
    > LOG_NOTICE  events that are unusual but not error conditions -
    >             might be summarized in an email to developers or admins
    >             to spot potential problems - no immediate action required
    >
    > LOG_WARNING warning messages - not an error, but indication that an
    >             error will occur if action is not taken, e.g. filesystem
    >             85% full - each item must be resolved within a given time
    >
    > LOG_ERR     non-urgent failures - these should be relayed to
    >             developers or admins; each item must be resolved within
    >             a given time
    >
    > LOG_ALERT   should be corrected immediately - notify staff who can fix
    >             the problem - example is loss of backup ISP connection
    >
    > LOG_CRIT    should be corrected immediately, but indicates failure in
    >             a primary system - fix LOG_CRIT problems before LOG_ALERT
    >             - example is loss of primary ISP connection
    >
    > LOG_EMERG   a "panic" condition - notify all tech staff on call?
    >             (earthquake? tornado?) - affects multiple
    apps/servers/sites...