Re: [loganalysis] Logging standards and such

From: Matthew Collins (pinguat_private)
Date: Fri Aug 17 2001 - 09:47:28 PDT

    On Fri, Aug 17, 2001 at 12:02:32PM -0500, Rebecca Kastl wrote:

    > > Do we want to provide a standardised framework for the log message such
    > > that it becomes, in effect, a machine parsable protocol similar to TCP/IP
    > > as far as possible?
    >
    > That could get very ugly, very fast -- especially if one looks to try
    > encoding facilty values into a header field (unless you reserve a 16-bit # in
    > the header and use a /etc/services approach).

    I phrased that badly... I meant a layered set of hierachical standards
    getting more and more specific... Just like you have IP which can have
    TCP and UDP layered on top of it which in turn get the application on
    them, and so forth, we could have something like:

    STD LOG HEADERS
    "INSTANCE" LOG HEADERS (IDS message, for example)
    "SPECIFIC" LOG HEADERS (Attack notification)
    HUMAN DATA

    Where each section woul dhave a standard set of headers and a method
    for including extensible new headers in it without breaking
    compatibility.