Re: [loganalysis] Syslog enabled devices

From: Tina Bird (tbird@precision-guesswork.com)
Date: Mon Aug 20 2001 - 08:33:30 PDT

    Hi all -- One of the things specifically mentioned in the
    List Charter is that I want to build a list of devices that
    speak syslog, as well as documentation on how to configure
    them.

    I'm working on the list Web site this week.  Intended content
    includes:

    - links to specifications & standards, proposed and otherwise
    - syslog replacements (like syslog-ng)
    - how to build a central loghost
    - parsing tools (logsurfer, swatch, checksyslog, and a host
    of others)
    - syslog configurations for everything that speaks syslog
    natively
    - third party applications and configs for stuff that
    can be persuaded to speak syslog
    - sample log data, interpretations, sample configs for
    parsing tools, etc for attacks both old and new

    --> in other words, a repository for all things syslog.

    One of my primary goals is to build a sample config for
    swatch and logsurfer that contains a reasonable set of attack
    signatures.  I know this is fraught with danger -- everyone's
    network is different, everyone's got different threat models --
    but at the moment, the only security related signatures that a
    newbie can find includes things like failed logins.  Not buffer
    overflows.

    A lot of this I've already got documented as part of my
    class, and a lot of additional information will come from
    the list archives.  We'll also need to be working on an FAQ.
    If you want to take a look at a model for this, check out the
    VPN site at http://kubarb.phsx.ukans.edu/~tbird/vpn.html.

    In the long term, the site will be hosted at Counterpane and
    mirrored at lots of other places.  In the short term, I'll
    probably do the development on the server mentioned above --
    I'll send out temporary links when I've got something together.

    So >please< continue to send sample data, lists of syslog
    capable devices, and configurations, to the list -- that way
    people will get the maximum use out of it quickly.

    tbird

    VPN:  http://kubarb.phsx.ukans.edu/~tbird/vpn.html
    life: http://kubarb.phsx.ukans.edu/~tbird
    work: http://www.counterpane.com