Re: [loganalysis] why read your logs?

From: Russell Fulton (r.fultonat_private)
Date: Tue Sep 11 2001 - 17:45:58 PDT

    On Mon, 10 Sep 2001 19:26:35 -0500 (CDT) Tina Bird
    <tbird@precision-guesswork.com> wrote:

    > that ought to cause a bit of a rumpus.
    >
    > i've been tasked with giving a presentation to a group
    > of manager types who do not have our understanding of the
    > importance of staffing for log monitoring.  i've got a
    > couple of analogies to use for them -- things like asking
    > how many of them balance their checkbooks or read their credit
    > card statements -- but figured that this group might have
    > an idea or two of how to convince a non-technie (or a new
    > sys admin) of how important this is...
    >
    > any ideas?

    Ask them if they would drive a car with no instuments or warning lights
    on the dash...

    When driving most of us glance periodically at the intrument display
    quite unconsiously, 99% of the time there is nothing of interest to
    note, but every now and again we get information that makes it
    worthwhile.  Sometimes the information is critical (@#$% I'm nearly out
    of gas!).  Or more usual we notice a trends "Hmmm... gas is getting
    low, better keep an eye out for a gas station..."