Re: [logs] Syslog forwarding

From: Andreas Siegert (afxmlat_private)
Date: Fri Sep 14 2001 - 00:54:26 PDT

    Quoting Bob (gobroncosat_private) on Thu, Sep 13, 2001 at 08:00:40PM +0200:
    > I'm trying to use Loghost1 to relay (or "forward") syslog messages that it
    > receives from the remotes (plus its own) to another centralized syslog host
    > (let's call it Loghost2). I've got it working, but all the syslog messages
    > in Loghost2's logs appear to come from Loghost1 (this is, the hostname of
    > the remotes is being replaced with Loghost1).
    >
    > Is that the normal behavior of syslog? Is there a way to avoid losing the
    > hostnames in the messages? Do I need a different flavor of syslogd?

    Get the SuSE syslogd, I hacked it two years ago to include a forwarding field
    (via command line switch) so that I can relay DMZ stuff through a
    firewall. Just use the source rpm.

    Or switch to syslog-ng from
    http://www.balabit.hu/en/products/syslog-ng/
    Don't know how well it works nowadays, When I played with it several years ago
    it was beta, but looked very promising. (Anyone on the list with production
    experience of syslog-ng?)

    cheers
    afx
    --
    atsec information security GmbH                Phone: +49-89-44249830
    Steinstrasse 68                                  Fax: +49-89-44249831