[logs] Syslog forwarding

From: Bob (gobroncosat_private)
Date: Thu Sep 13 2001 - 11:00:40 PDT

    Hi all...

    I have a syslog host on Redhat (I've tried this with 6.x and 7.x) running
    the out-of-the box syslog daemon. (Let's call this box Loghost 1.) It
    receives messages from several remote hosts.

    I'm trying to use Loghost1 to relay (or "forward") syslog messages that it
    receives from the remotes (plus its own) to another centralized syslog host
    (let's call it Loghost2). I've got it working, but all the syslog messages
    in Loghost2's logs appear to come from Loghost1 (this is, the hostname of
    the remotes is being replaced with Loghost1).

    Is that the normal behavior of syslog? Is there a way to avoid losing the
    hostnames in the messages? Do I need a different flavor of syslogd?

    Many thanks,

    Bob