Re: [logs] Best Practices for Application Logging

From: Hal Snyder (halat_private)
Date: Thu Oct 11 2001 - 13:55:47 PDT

    Fred Mobach <fredat_private> writes:

    > Where you are looking for interesting items and emails those to the
    > selected staff I unselect uninteresting messages and post the
    > remaining messages to :

    > - known messages to the operators for that software package,
    > - unknown messages to the security officers.

    > The latter because I never know beforehand what's going on.

    Good point. We're doing this with some logs, too. But we could do
    better.

    BTW, we're still working on the best way to handle firewall logs. Two
    things make them challenging - the sheer volume of data, and the fact
    that interesting new problems usually show up not as a new type of
    message, but as a change in the distribution of messages.

    One more thing. In off-list email, Todd Glassey brought a number of
    omissions to my attention - including the requirement that every
    system that processes log messages needs a valid clock. For most of
    us, that means NTP.