Re: [logs] any syslog implementations of draft-ietf-syslog-reliable?

From: Alejo Sanchez (alejo@core-sdi.com)
Date: Fri Oct 12 2001 - 19:24:42 PDT

    Hi Tom,

    Isn't syslog-sign still on early design?

    We do plan to support it eventually on msyslog,
    but in a generic way. It wouldn't be my #1 choice.
    I'd use some L-PEO way of protection with a
    sequence, thus using the same protection in the
    host (even after administrator log tampering),
    transport (integrity, anti-reply, etc) and
    storage (same goals).

    Also, I wouldn't forward logs through network
    as plaintext, it could tell critical data to
    an attacker or could, on some crypto channel
    configurations, help a known-plaintext attack
    (ie. logs get later forwarded with a VPN).

    I guess syslog-ng people are working up
    something right now.

    Cheers,

    Alejo