Re: [logs] log review policies

From: Hal Snyder (halat_private)
Date: Wed Oct 17 2001 - 14:02:15 PDT

    "Marcus J. Ranum" <mjrat_private> writes:

    > I have a super-tiny mail-sending program that knows how to SMTP out
    > a message without requiring a real MTA. Would it be worth my
    > cleaning it up and making it available? (It's written for an old
    > version of UNIX and it'd probably require some "porting" to work on
    > Linux or whatever)

    Sounds good. I enjoy reading any mjr code - even TinyMUD. :)

    FWIW, whenever we have decided not to turn on sendmail/postfix/qmail/...
    on a box, we ended up adding it later for one of two reasons:

    1. If mail can't be sent right away, what to do about flushing the
    spool? Yes, you *could* have a cron task, but the major MTAs have
    retry logic worked out already - why redo?

    2. Some old code has SMTP sessions to localhost wired into its
    reporting system. So we can't count on just piping to stand-alone
    SMTP clients that originate remote sessions.

    Not sure how the above super-tiny mailer fits with these...