Re: [logs] log review policies

From: William D. Colburn (aka Schlake) (wcolburnat_private)
Date: Wed Oct 17 2001 - 13:53:56 PDT

    Sendmail hasn't been a scary beast in many years.  Yes, sendmail has a
    scary history but we just shouldn't talk about that anymore because it
    is all in the past.  The new sendmail is maintained by competent
    programmers who are trying to provide a first class MTA/MSA.  Sendmail
    hasn't been a scary beast in many years, but the way people install it
    still is.

    There does not need to be a sendmail daemon listening to port 25 on
    every machine.  There merely needs to be a sendmail program locally that
    programs can call to send mail out to a primary mail server.  Instead of
    putting "/usr/lib/sendmail -bd -q15m" onto every machine, just put
    "/usr/lib/sendmail -q15m".  The server will run to process the queue,
    but not accept incoming connections.  If a program needs to deal with an
    SMTP server, then it can talk to the secure SMTP server.

    The new sendmail does not need to be suid root anymore.  It can be an
    unpriviledged program and still work properly.

    The new sendmail is easy to configure!  Well, you have to know m4, but
    you don't really need to know very much m4 for a simple install.  I have
    a Makefile and a couple of definition files, and when I install a new
    version of sendmail I just have to change one symlink and then type
    'make' to reproduce everything for the new version.  I could automate
    the generation of the symlink if I was really lazy.

    --
    William Colburn, "Sysprog" <wcolburnat_private>
    Computer Center, New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology