[logs] Converting log messages to XML format.

From: Cedar Hannan (channanat_private)
Date: Fri Nov 09 2001 - 14:29:01 PST

    I'm wondering if anyone out there has any experience with converting log
    messages to XML format.  I've been attempting to do this and have had
    moderate success.  The template feature in Syslog-ng makes this pretty
    easy in that you can write your tags into a template eg:

    The only problem I have run into is that sometimes the text of a message
    will contain characters that mess up the XML "code".  This happens when
    the message text contains "<some_string>".  It then gets interpreted as
    a tag and breaks things.  The only thing I can think of to do is write a
    Perl script that "scrubs" the file to pull out any extraneous "<".  I
    was hoping to avoid this.  I am very, very new to XML so please excuse
    me if I'm confusing things.  Any ideas?

    -Cedar

    Cedar Hannan
    RagingNet, Inc