[logs] Data for Court

From: Tina Bird (tbird@precision-guesswork.com)
Date: Sat Dec 15 2001 - 02:11:13 PST

    Hi all -- I've spent some of my time on airplanes reading
    the US Dept. of Justice report on Evidence Quality Computer
    Data (the link is on the Web site).  I won't go into great
    detail (I'm >loving< European central heating), but the thing
    I found the most interesting is that, despite all the great
    discussions about how easy it is to modify log data,
    >unless< there's reasonable proof that logs have been
    modified, they can be admitted as evidence.

    Even better, they're generally held to be reliable evidence
    if the business submitting them collects them as part of
    normal practice and relies upon their information for its
    day-to-day activity.

    There's also a great discussion of why purely computer-
    generated logs are >not< hearsay.

    If I could find the author's e-mail address, I'd be very
    happy.

    cheers -- tbird

    "I was being patient, but it took too long." -
                                    Anya, "Buffy the Vampire Slayer"

    Log Analysis: http://www.counterpane.com/log-analysis.html
    VPN:  http://kubarb.phsx.ukans.edu/~tbird/vpn.html