Re: [logs] syslog & Win2k?

From: Rebecca Kastl (rkastlat_private)
Date: Sat Dec 15 2001 - 07:14:46 PST

    On Fri, 14 Dec 2001, Mike Blomgren wrote:

    > ...the receiving syslogd host is a Win2k (something I'd like to
    > change...). However, Win2k doesn't handle syslog by default. So, my
    > questions is really; which syslog daemon for Win 2k would you suggest, and
    > why?

    I don't really have any recommendations one way or the other, unless you're
    looking for some specific functionality.

    > Another concern is security. The syslog will contain sensitive
    > information, and we need to be certain that the sylog contains correct
    > information, and is not tampered with.

    Keep in mind that syslog traffic is UDP and subject to message injection over
    the network.  You'll need a secondary mechanism to back up your syslog data
    (local copies, proper staggered rotation, periodic sigs, etc.)

    > Also, to perform the logging, the syslog has to pass a firewall situated
    > between the webservers and the syslod host. Security implications?

    As above, message injection is a concern.  Also keep in mind that it could be
    possible to flood the firewall with bogus data, causing it to drop valid
    syslog messages.

    --Rebecca Kastl