Re: [logs] syslog & Win2k?

From: dgillettat_private
Date: Sun Dec 16 2001 - 02:39:23 PST

      To the extent that I'm happy with syslog (and it does have some
    glaring deficiencies...), I've been very happy with a third-party
    utility called SL4NT ("SysLogd For NT").  I haven't deployed it to a
    2K box yet, but if that requires a newer version than I've used, I
    expect it's available by now.

      It doesn't do anything about lost or spoofed UDP packets, but it
    does let me route syslog entries into the NT Security Event log,
    which can at least be made fairly tamper-resistant.  I collect the
    data from there for archiving and analysis.

      As far as stability and availability, my experience is that an NT
    server that does little besides receive syslog and log-retrieval
    requests doesn't exhibit the kind of instability that is often
    claimed for servers hosting, say, IIS.  Nor has it raised issues of
    authenticity, especially if it is hidden from other domain users.

      (SL4NT does include tools for triggering actions based on specific
    log entries, but I have so far preferred to simply have it commit the
    entries to the system log, and do all analysis on the back end of
    that.)

    Dave Gillett