Re: [logs] Data for Court

From: Tina Bird (tbird@precision-guesswork.com)
Date: Tue Dec 18 2001 - 15:24:30 PST

    Actually, Todd, I read the report a little differently.  Since
    we're getting into this level of depth anyhow, what Kerr says
    is that there's really three broad categories of "computer
    data":

    1) Data that was created by a human and is stored on a computer,
    which is subject to the same conditions of evidence as any other
    human communication (that is, the hearsay issues -- was the
    human an expert authority, was the comment reported accurately,
    etc.)

    2) Data that is generated by a computer, stored on a computer,
    and is not touched by human hands -- this is subject to legal
    questions about whether or not the program was running correctly,
    but is >not< hearsay and is not subject to any of the case
    law around human statements

    3) Data that contains both human-generated and machine-generated
    values, such as spreadsheets -- which is much more complicated,
    big surprise, and is subject to all sets of conditions.

    There's nothing I read in Kerr's report that suggests that
    purely machine generated data ever qualifies as hearsay,
    whether or not someone is challenging their authenticity or
    integrity.

    I would also argue that most courts don't have staff
    biochemists who are capable of assessing the quality of a
    DNA test, but that's why we have expert witnesses.

    t.

    Where did ThunderGal come from, anyhow?