Re: [logs] Apache Logs

From: William D. Colburn (aka Schlake) (wcolburnat_private)
Date: Tue Jan 29 2002 - 13:14:47 PST

    I have a syslong-ng that shares a CPU with my LPRng server.  We don't
    send our apache logs to it, however.

    Since the beginning of the year (not counting today) it has sysloged a
    total of 10394522 messages from about 100 different machines via UDP
    (average 4 per second).  Every message is written to an "everything" file,
    and usually one other file. Some messages are written to two or three
    different files.  My machine is a linux-2.2.19 with 1 733 Mhz P3.

    I don't know what the peak is as far as messages per second, but I can't
    imagine that it is very many.  My "everything" file gets exactly that:
    everything, no matter how low priority a message it is.

    I have no reason to think that any messages are being dropped.  I used
    to have other syslog servers "just in case", and local copies on
    important machines, but I never seemed to lose any, so I stopped doing
    it.

    --
    William Colburn, "Sysprog" <wcolburnat_private>
    Computer Center, New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology