Re: [logs] Apache Logs

From: Bill Burge (billat_private)
Date: Tue Jan 29 2002 - 13:48:38 PST

    Wow...  I too wish I could gen some real numbers for you, but all I have is anecdotal:

    Current host is an OpenBSD 2.9 running the generic syslog for that build, logging via UDP.  24 hours of web logs, from 4 apache servers, have broken the 5 million lines mark without loosing enough lines to make the log analyzer complain about "broken" sessions.

    In the past, I had a heavily logging Cisco PIX sending to a Cobalt RAQ via UDP and lost many lines (I don't remember the numbers, but it was enough to consider it useless).  When we repointed it to a Sun Ultra 60, we got all lines of output.  With the nature of business being what it was, they were unwilling to pay me to quantify it - only to fix it.  ;-)

    Bill Burge