Re: [logs] syslog/mysql/webGUI.

From: Marcus J. Ranum (mjrat_private)
Date: Wed Jan 30 2002 - 06:22:26 PST

    Mike Lee wrote:
    >I'm looking for ways to send multiple devices' syslog messages to a mysql
    >database and be able to analyze logs via some sort of web gui.

    Which nicely raises the next thing I wanted to ask:
    Does anyone have any statistics for how many records/second you can
    insert into a MySql database for a reasonable set of assumptions? I.e.:
    assuming one primary index and a reasonably fast machine (say 1Ghz
    with 1GB RAM)*

    If syslog is puking its guts out over loads in the thousands of records/second
    I guess it's a moot point since the data will never get to the database anyhow,
    but assuming syslog "works" will there be a huge bottleneck at the database
    input stage?

    mjr.
    (* To me, even the idea that machines can have 1GB of RAM makes me
    giggle uncontrollably. My first multiuser UNIX box had 4MB...)
    ---
    Marcus J. Ranum          Chief Technology Officer, NFR Security, Inc.
    Work:                           http://www.nfr.com
    Personal:                      http://www.ranum.com