Re: [logs] syslog/mysql/webGUI.

From: Ryan Russell (ryanat_private)
Date: Wed Jan 30 2002 - 09:30:12 PST

    On Wed, 30 Jan 2002, Marcus J. Ranum wrote:

    > Which nicely raises the next thing I wanted to ask:
    > Does anyone have any statistics for how many records/second you can
    > insert into a MySql database for a reasonable set of assumptions? I.e.:
    > assuming one primary index and a reasonably fast machine (say 1Ghz
    > with 1GB RAM)*

    Not quite enough information to answer there.  One of the major problems
    I've had with MySQL is that only does table locking.  Basically, that
    means it can only read from the table, or write to the table at a time.
    (They've been working on adding row-level locking.. I haven't looked in a
    while, if it's done, then my apologies for bad info.)

    SecurityFocus was running on MySQL for a long time.  We kept having this
    problem.  When doing normal database stuff, which involves reading and
    writing simultaneously, load on the box would go through the roof during
    peak times, and the site would grind to a halt.  If you looked at the
    error logs, some of the queries were taking 200 seconds to complete.

    If you really only need to write to the DB (or perhaps only do small
    reads on occasion), then you may be fine.

    					Ryan