Re: [logs] Logging software

From: Jeff King (peff-loganalat_private)
Date: Fri Feb 01 2002 - 17:02:19 PST

    On Fri, 1 Feb 2002, Shane Kerr wrote:

    > An interesting exercise, but really you've tackled the program in the
    > wrong way.  The first thing to do is figure out whether there is a
    > problem that needs solving, then figure out what exactly that problem
    > is, then decide what the requirements are for any solution.

    I'm using a logging system very similar to Greg's. The problems I was
    addressing were actually not performance related at all, but feature
    related. Generally, I didn't like:
     - the lack of acknowledged UDP transfers
     - the lack of strong authentication for clients
     - the lack of tamper resistance as the data crosses the network

    My system submits line oriented logs to a central logserver over a
    long-running ssh tunnel. If the tunnel is down (or packets are not being
    ACK'd) it dumps to local storage. The idea is that once messages hit
    /dev/log, they shouldn't be lost.

    > So I guess the question is:  Is there a need for an improved logging
    > framework?

    I thought so. :)

    > p.s. If the need is there, I'll be glad to help.  But even though I said
    >      design shouldn't start yet, can I recommend using anything other
    >      than C or C++?  :)

    My system is primarily written in awk, since it does real-time log
    analysis using regexps. I feed data to multilog to actually write it to
    disk.

    -Jeff