Re: [logs] Tool for Statistical LogAnalysis over time?

From: Matt Zimmerman (mdzat_private)
Date: Thu Feb 07 2002 - 11:07:54 PST

    On Thu, Feb 07, 2002 at 10:20:44AM +1300, Russell Fulton wrote:

    > On Wed, 2002-02-06 at 02:56, Mike Blomgren wrote:
    >
    > > 1GB in size per day. Doing the analysis once per night is no problem,
    > > but, and it's a big BUT, how does one reasonably perform the same
    > > analysis for weekly or monthly reports? Or, heaven forbid, yearly
    > > reports?
    >
    > ummm...I wonder if RRDtool could be bent to work for this sort of data?
    >
    > http://www.caida.org/tools/utilities/rrdtool/

    RRDtool understands only numerical values.  You could reduce known log
    messages to counters and track them in an RRD, but you would lose the actual
    messages (and any unknowns).  So it is probably not useful for this kind of
    log analysis.

    In the past, I have used RRDs to store rates of log messages from web
    servers, web applications, and the like, and it works on a small scale.

    --
     - mdz