RE: [logs] Tool for Statistical LogAnalysis over time?

From: Mike Blomgren (mike.blomgrenat_private)
Date: Thu Feb 07 2002 - 12:22:33 PST

    Comments below.

    > On Thu, Feb 07, 2002 at 10:20:44AM +1300, Russell Fulton wrote:
    >
    > > On Wed, 2002-02-06 at 02:56, Mike Blomgren wrote:
    > >
    > > > 1GB in size per day. Doing the analysis once per night is no
    > > > problem, but, and it's a big BUT, how does one reasonably perform
    > > > the same analysis for weekly or monthly reports? Or,
    > heaven forbid,
    > > > yearly reports?
    > >
    > > ummm...I wonder if RRDtool could be bent to work for this sort of
    > > data?
    > >
    > > http://www.caida.org/tools/utilities/rrdtool/
    >
    > RRDtool understands only numerical values.  You could reduce
    > known log messages to counters and track them in an RRD, but
    > you would lose the actual messages (and any unknowns).  So it
    > is probably not useful for this kind of log analysis.
    >
    > In the past, I have used RRDs to store rates of log messages
    > from web servers, web applications, and the like, and it
    > works on a small scale.

    Coincidence, because I was just reading the docs for RRD Tool, and came
    to more or less the same conslusion, i.e. not quite suitable for my
    needs.

    However, judging from the responses so far, I think the best bet is to
    save the actual loglines that are used for the statistics, and that
    contain any 'interesting' informtaion. This would reduce the required
    information to 1% of the original logsize, at least. Some information
    will get lost, but the majority of it ought to be in the extract.

    As long as we along the line don't discover that the extract is missing
    vital information, we should be OK....

    But, to summarize, I'm suprised that aren't more solutions to this
    problem. However, I haven't followed up on one of the products I was
    suggested to look at. And I'm sure there are a few more who don't read
    this list...

    Thanks to all who responded!

    Regards,

    ~Mike