Re: [logs] hack attempts && price

From: H C (keydet89at_private)
Date: Fri Feb 15 2002 - 15:00:19 PST

    Interesting thought, and something I've looked at
    doing for quite a long while.  However, I've always
    been hampered by something...red tape, laziness, etc.

    Here's what I mean...let's say someone took steps to
    limit the number of active script mappings on an IIS
    server.  Let's say that she spent roughly 10 minutes
    on one box, going through the MMC.  Now, let's say
    that she's been able to script this for a hundred or
    more servers, using mdutil.exe, or Perl, or whatever,
    and the script took 4 hrs to design, test, and put in
    production.  So far, the costs of manpower are pretty
    low.

    Now, let's look at sites that didn't do this, and see
    how long it took them to clean up from Code Red.

    Given this, how does one put a 'price', or determine
    ROI, for security?