Re: [logs] Update/copy logs to logserver (not via syslog)

From: mikemat_private
Date: Mon Feb 18 2002 - 12:45:16 PST

    Another thing to consider would be to "pull" the logs from the machines to
    the logserver, rather than "pushing" them.  What I mean by this is that
    you want to have your logserver be the most secure box on your network
    since it contains your logs.  Rather than letting all of the client
    machines log into it, which requires that some level of trust is given to
    them, you set up ssh keys so that all of the client machines allow the
    logserver to log into them instead using host-based public-key
    authentication.

    (Okay, so maybe the logserver being "the most secure box on your network"
    is a bit extreme, but you get the point - if someone compromises a machine
    on your network, you don't want them being able to gain access to your
    logserver as well to erase what's left of the legitimate logs.)

    This would allow you to set up automated log retrieval jobs on your
    logserver that go and get the logs from the clients, and anyone who would
    compromise a client machine still has no access to your log server.

    On your log server, you would then disallow any logins, except maybe an
    ssh public-key authenticated session from another "trusted" machine.
    Host-based authentication would be disallowed on the logserver itself.

    Just some thoughts...

    Mike Messick           Dona nobis pacem          rm -rf /bin/laden
    PGP Key Fingerprint:                       email: mikemat_private
    2048/0x57318496 053B 412B 82FC 3808 E141  CDCD 74AE 01C5 5731 8496