Re: [logs] Update/copy logs to logserver (not via syslog)

From: Tycho Fruru (tycho.fruruat_private)
Date: Mon Feb 18 2002 - 14:41:12 PST

    On Mon, 18 Feb 2002, Yura Socolov wrote:

    [ interesting points on pushing or pulling logs to a central logging
    infrastructure snipped ]

    > The point is (you probably wonder by now =), choosing between push and pull and

    Perhaps one choice doesn't exclude the other ...
    The IPFC way would be the following :

    - monitored machines send their logs to an intermediary server
      (no extra listening ports on the monitored machines), very low
      privileges on the intermediary server.
     -> pushing

    - central logging server fetches logs from the intermediary server
     -> pulling

    So you can see that the intermediary server basically has no rights to
    connect to the rest of the network *at all*

    Moreover, the logs can be signed so that end-to-end authentication is
    possible.

    Of course some failure modes exist, but these are of the DoS nature -
    if the central logging server does sufficient format validation on the
    fetched data (if you see something else, I'd like to hear of it).

    Best regards,
    Tycho

    --
    Tycho Fruru			tycho.fruruat_private