RE: [logs] hack attempts && price

From: Lubomir.Nistor@star-21.de
Date: Tue Feb 26 2002 - 01:49:42 PST

    sure.. well if manager has no clue of what IT is ( and that's mostly the case), he will not understand what hack attack is, and he will not understand it after 100 security courses.. of course there are exceptions and I've met them personally.
    Their decisions also affect their IT staff, as when they have only one unix admin who only knows how to start and stop admin GUI...

    Demystifying incidents is one of the tasks that consultants have to do (but are not doing as they'll loose their jobs in longterm.. so exagerating is a part of it :)

    Since unixes use GUIs there's not much time and money wasted on learning how OS works.. you just do your job and don't care about the rest. In one way it's understandable as there is so much required from one admin.., but on the other hand we all know what means not doing log reviews or proper system security checks)

    but back to the price of hack attacks..
    you can't exactly value hack attempts and attacks before they happen.you can only assess what the value may be
    and there are many ways of doing it:
    lost revenue; risk value; manhours lost/required;...
    it's a matter of choosing the best method for the actual case. If company values its actives in required manhours I wouldn't waste time to explain them how lost revenue vauation works..

    sweth:please read any security risk assessment guide.. there you'll get this formula well explained..

    Thomas: It wasn't intention to exagerate the risk value :)that surely was my mistake in calculation..

    lubo