Re: [logs] audits logs

From: Nathan Kim (nkim1at_private)
Date: Mon Mar 11 2002 - 07:39:52 PST

    Wendy,

    Relying on logs to track customer's usage of your product would not give
    you accurate information always.  The customers always can delete the logs
    or temper with it.  Also, if the product is for NT/2000 systems, the logs
    may get overwritten unless the log sizes are set to large enough limit to
    hold information for 3 months.

    Perhaps, exploring the option of utilizing the license keys for each
    component of your product may be a better solution.  Especially, if these
    keys are time-based and must be renewed every month, you can send new keys
    to the customer who have paid for their usage.

    Just suggestions....

    Nathan

                        "Xie, Wendy"
                        <Wendy_Xie@ste       To:     "'loganalysisat_private'"
                        rcomm.com>            <loganalysisat_private>
                                             cc:
                        03/11/2002           Subject:     [logs] audits logs
                        09:57 AM

    Hi,

      I am trying to audit logs for the products in the customer site. We can
    only get the logs once every 3 mons.
    The purpose of the auditing is to ensure that the customer is using the
    products that they have paid.
    The products will be shipped to the customers in the CD. It contains all of
    the products. The customer suppose to use only the ones that they paid.  If
    the customers are smart enough, they may use the products without paying
    us.

    We need to have access protection in the CD.

    After researching in this topic. we found that auditing logs will not take
    control if the customers remove the starting logs or preserve the starting
    logs. We don't have control of their machine.
    if anybody has some ideals , please share them with me. I am very
    appreciated it.

    Thank you in advanced.
    Wendy