Re: [logs] Sentry/Counterpane how is it working ?

From: Matthew G. Marsh (mgmat_private)
Date: Thu Mar 14 2002 - 08:22:20 PST

    On Wed, 13 Mar 2002, Sweth Chandramouli wrote:

    > On Wed, Mar 13, 2002 at 07:41:49PM -0500, Michael.Slifcakat_private wrote:
    > > Network management [seems to me to be] the original term
    > > used for proactively interpreting log data and SNMP data
    > > which was collected across networked connections.
    > 	At one point it was (I also used to once be a Network
    > Management consultant), but now people seem to use that term more to
    > describe active management rather than just monitoring.  NMS ("Network
    > Management System"), oddly, still seems to refer to the systems that do
    > the monitoring.

    Hehehe - I still preface all of my security talks with "What I do is what
    I call Network Management although most people now call it Network
    Security" - essentially it seems that the terminology has shifted meaning
    but I am still doing the same thing I did as a Network Management
    person...

    Log Analysis, SNMP (v3 rules!), Traffic Baselines, Protocol Structures,
    Policy Routing, ...  The more the names change the more the job stays the
    same.

    > 	-- Sweth.
    >
    > --
    > Sweth Chandramouli ; <svcat_private>
    > President, Idiopathic Systems Consulting

    > For additional commands, e-mail: loganalysis-helpat_private

    Matthew G. Marsh,  President
    Paktronix Systems LLC
    1506 North 59th Street
    Omaha  NE  68104