Re: [logs] Sentry/Counterpane how is it working ?

From: Drew (simonisat_private)
Date: Mon Mar 18 2002 - 12:55:11 PST

    Tina Bird wrote:

    > To follow up on this, finally:
    >
    > 1) Yes, agent software is required to monitor
    > Windows systems.  I am personally particularly fond
    > of Event Reporter, as I think we've discussed on this
    > list before, but we'll work with any EventLog to
    > syslog forwarder that a customer cares to install.

    Personally, I've never understood why there wasn't more of an
    event generator vice a simple collector.  What I mean is, the
    CP solution ( as I understand it ) simply collects and forwards
    to a central host on the customer network, and from there to
    their own Ops center.  Wouln't it be nicer if there was agent
    software for both *ix and Win32 that not only forwarded data
    (preferably encrypted) but also expanded the ability to generate
    events. Something that monitored ports and possibly the system in
    a finer way than general syslog/windows events.